I have always prided myself on my ability to make and complete checklists. From high school, through college and my career, even at home, there is always a list, usually several, close by. Sometimes I even put down things that are already complete just so I can have the joy of crossing them off! As Claire and Lucy had their 1st birthday today, the practical side of me can check many things off the list today. Over 4000 bottles: CHECK. 300 loads of laundry: CHECK. Over 4200 diapers: CHECK. I could go on and on.
Thankfully though, these days, the practical side of me is in perpetual timeout. The girls were about six months old when Judd said to me; "Why don't you just stop making the lists, they only stress you out". Well, honey, as usual, you were right! Although I can't help but create one more list; a special checklist of things that my beautiful daughters have taught me in the 365 glorious days that they have been a part of our lives.
- Soak in every laugh and giggle
- Find amazement in the littlest things, even a piece of lint on the floor
- Love your parents (Seriously Mom, Dad and Tami, we could NOT have made it through this year without your support)
- Laugh at the messes. They can always be cleaned up later
- Call your friends and family (I am reminded of this every time Lucy puts the toy phone up to her ear and says "Hiiii" or "Yeah") I think that we will work on "I love you" next
- If you are going to do something, do it with flair (Yes Claire, I am picturing you sitting on TOP of your book, dancing)
- Bob your head to the music; whatever mood you are in, this helps to improve it
- Love your sisters, stay close to them and keep an eye on them
- Greet everyone that comes in the door with a smile, wave of the arms and a little wiggle
- Explore the world like you have never seen it before; you don't want to miss a thing
- Look for comfort and a hug when you are sad or tired. You don't need to go it alone!
- Contrary to my pregnancy fears, it is possible to love two people the exact same amount and yet in completely different ways and WAY more than you could have ever imagined
- Love your spouse and enjoy every mili-second of togetherness that you can squeeze out of these early days of parenthood. Be appreciative of him, of all that you are learning together and all the ounces of sanity that he has saved because he is so wonderful.
- Realize that every moment of the day is ten times more special when you get to share it with your beautiful family
- Don't wait to check things off the list in your life. Most of the fun is when you are stuck right in the middle of it!
I love you girls and can't wait for what tomorrow brings!

2 comments:
I feel like I should print this off and put it on my refrigerator... You're a great mom, wife, friend AND writer, Laura. Happy Birthday, Claire & Lucy! Well done, Laura & Judd. XOXO, Jill
what a sweet post, Laura! I even teared up and agree with Jill that you are all of those things and your girls are lucky to have some a fabulous mama!
Post a Comment